11 Differences that help you choose between IELTS & TOEFL
Posted on May 20, 2020
When it comes to language proficiency tests for migration overseas or immigration, IELTS and TOEFL spontaneously come to mind.
Nevertheless, knowing the difference between these tests is essential to make a proper choice for your need.
Aspects to consider include whether
- You are going for higher study overseas or a job abroad
- You are a non-native speaker or not
Both tests are internationally recognized tests for assessing language skills.
The results of these tests are applicable in English-speaking countries like the US, Canada, the UK, South Africa, and Australia.
Most higher education institutes in these countries accept the scores of both these tests.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) was started in 1964. It’s available as both an Internet-Based Test (IBT) and a Paper-Based Test (PBT). Its result has a validity of 2 years.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) result is valid until 2 years.
- TOEFL is conducted by ETS. IELTS is conducted and managed jointly by the British Council, IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge.
- Universities in the US and Canada prefer TOEFL over IELTS.
- IELTS is designed to assess skills in British English, while TOEFL assesses American English.
- The formats of these exams are different though they assess the same abilities namely, reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- TOEFL has more multiple-choice questions. IELTS requires you to copy words after listening.
- TOEFL has a constant format. The format of IELTS keeps changing.
- IELTS has stricter evaluations than TOEFL. While TOEFL overlooks small mistakes for overall performance on the topic, IELTS gives negative markings for mistakes.
- While IELTS has General and Academic categories, TOEFL has no such division.
- IELTS focuses on different accents and situations based on a region of a country. TOEFL focuses on North America.
- The scores on IELTS are given on a 0 to 9 scale. TOEFL gives scores between 310 and 677.
- IELTS has an exam duration of 2 hours 45 minutes. TOEFL’s exam time is 4 hours.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like it…