Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

5 pathways to Canadian Immigration, if you are 50+ years of age

Posted on September 5, 2023
Comment (0)
Share :

Why immigrate to Canada?

  • Several job opportunities
  • Access to public healthcare
  • High quality of life
  • Free education for children
  • Flourishing economy
  • Assured safety and security

5 pathways to Canadian Immigration, if you are 50+ years of age

If you are aged more than 50 and want to immigrate to Canada, there are certain pathways on offer for you.

Express Entry

Under the Express Entry system, three federal immigration programs aid people who have the proper educational qualifications, adequate work experience, skills, and other factors to immigrate to Canada.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

One of Express Entry’s immigration programs is the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), which was launched to appeal to foreign skilled workers to come to Canada and contribute to its economy and society.

Canadian Experience Class

The intent of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is to attract professionals who have enough work experience in Canada in in-demand sectors to apply for permanent residency (PR).

Eligible for CEC are candidates who have a minimum skilled work experience of one year in Canada within the last three years from the date of application.

Federal Skilled Trades Program

The objective of the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is to allow overseas skilled workers with the necessary work experience in a qualified skilled trade to apply for permanent residency.

Candidates for the FSTP need to have a minimum full-time work experience of two years in a qualified, skilled trade within the last five years from the date of application.

Each of the above-mentioned programs selects candidates based on the number of Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points obtained by them on their applications.

Individuals aged more than 45 receive the least number of points on the age factor, so those aged more than 50 get zero points.

Applicants aged more than 50 can improve their CRS score under the Express Entry programs in the following ways:

  • Get a high score in English or French language proficiency exams
  • Have higher education qualifications, including degrees and diplomas
  • Have a job offer from a Canada-based company in a skilled profession

Investment Visas & Business Immigration

Canada has on offer many business immigration programs that attract established entrepreneurs and investors who can demonstrate their capability to contribute to its economy. Some of them are as follows.

The Start-Up Visa Program is for resourceful entrepreneurs who can create new businesses in Canada.

With the Self-Employed Persons Program, individuals having experience in cultural or athletic activities and wanting to be self-employed in Canada can enter the country.

There are individual provincial entrepreneur programs and investment visas in Canada that are managed by its provinces and territories, which offer PR pathways for individuals with high net who intend to invest in or set up a business in Canada.

Some of the more popular Canadian provincial business immigration programs for people aged more than 50 are the British Columbia Entrepreneur Immigration Program, Ontario’s Entrepreneur Stream, Saskatchewan Farm Owners and Operators, and Business Investor Stream in Manitoba, among others.

As each of the above-mentioned business immigration programs has varying requirements, applicants should research them before they apply for the provincial business immigration program that is suited to them.

Obtain a job in Canada

If you are aged more than 50, the best way to immigrate to Canada is to get a job from an organization based in Canada.

Those who get a job offer from a Canada–based company need to obtain work experience in Canada of at least one year before they can apply for its PR through the CEC under the Express Entry. But to get a job offer in this North American country, the employer must complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before legally being permitted to hire the applicants.

The applicants should, therefore, consider applying to job openings in Canada that they are especially fit for.

Family Sponsorship

Family sponsorship is a pathway that allows Canadian permanent residents and citizens to sponsor their close family members to arrive and settle in Canada. This pathway can be accessed by people aged more than 50.

Student Visa

People aged more than 50 can also apply to pursue higher education at educational institutions in Canada. After they complete their degree, they are eligible with their student visas to apply for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP), with which they can work for up to three years in Canada. After that, they can apply for a PR through the Canadian Experience Class under the Express Entry system after getting one year of work experience in Canada.

If you are aged above 50 and are intending to migrate to Canada, get in touch with Y-Axis, a premier overseas career consultancy, to get proper guidance and assistance


Y-Axis, the world’s best overseas immigration consultancy, provides unbiased immigration services for every client based on their interests and requirements. Our impeccable services include the following:

Share :

More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

20 − five =




Follow Us

We want to hear from you!