A to Z of applying to colleges & universities in Canada
Posted on May 23, 2022
- Preferred destination for education
- Highest-ranking country for quality of life
- Affordable education
- World’s top QS ranking universities
- Multicultural society
Canada is counted among one of the top countries in the world. Currently, it is the highest-ranking country for quality of life. If you decide to study in Canada, you will be taught by top educators in the world with high-end educational infrastructure.
Choosing Canada for your studies, the experience will impact your life for good. It might result in a career and a future in the country or better career opportunities back in your native country.
If you have selected Canada as your destination for higher studies, read on to know more about how you should go about the procedure of applying to the universities and colleges of Canada.
Steps to Apply for Canada
The procedure to apply for Canada is given below.
- Select an Institution
Determine what you would study and in which institution. The Directory of Canadian Universities would make it easier. It consists of profiles of universities and colleges in Canada and lists their study programs. You can get the information about the individual university from their official websites.
Contact officials who manage the affairs of the international students in the universities you are interested in and convey to them your concerns. Ensure that you give yourself sufficient time to apply and obtain the study permit.
- Submit an application
After you have selected your choice of universities, find out about the admission requirements and the application process. The process varies across institutions, and you should go through them carefully to avoid any problems later.
- Check your eligibility
Assess your eligibility for the university of your choice and its entrance requirements. Graduating from a secondary school and having good academic scores are the minimum requirements for pursuing an undergraduate study in Canada.
You are required to submit documents, such as photocopies of the certificates from the secondary or post-secondary educational institution you have studied in. It is mandatory to have the documents evaluated and translated into English or French.
You can contact the educational authorities in your country or the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials for additional information on degree recognition.
- Language proficiency
Foreign national students in Canada need to demonstrate their proficiency in either English or French. It depends on the university they go to. There are multiple universities that have a medium of instruction as English. You need to score the minimum marks on the standardized language test.
*Want to ace your tests, the coaching services by Y-Axis will help guide you.
- Application process to study in Canada
The application processes vary for each province. In a few provinces, students can apply facilitated by the central application service. In other provinces, you can apply directly to the university. You can apply to multiple institutes in this manner.
- Deadline for applications
Deadlines vary, but generally, you should apply at least eight to twelve months in advance. Usually, the intake for international students is held during September and January sessions. Some universities have the facility of “rolling admissions” procedure to admit international students all around the year.
- Obtain a study permit
After you have received your letter of acceptance from the Canadian university, you applied for. You need to apply for a study permit if you plan to study in the country for six months or longer. You need to apply for the permit before you arrive in Canada.
You can either apply online or submit a document of application to the visa office of Canada in your country. The details about the study permits of international students are given on the official website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
If your educational institute is in Quebec, you need to obtain a CAQ or Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec from the province.
To be granted a study permit, these are the following requirements you need to fulfill.
- You need to prove that you have sufficient funds to pay the tuition fees and expenses for living in Canada for yourself and your dependents who come to Canada.
- Return traveling expenses for you and the dependants.
- You also need to clear a medical examination as proof of good health.
- If you wish to study in Canada, you should be law-abiding, with no criminal records.
- You should not be a threat to the security of Canada.
- You are required to provide a police clearance certificate.
- You need to prove that the main reason you are coming to Canada is to attend university to the visa official.
- You need to state that you will leave Canada after graduating from your study program.
After enrolling in a Canadian university and receiving the required visa, you should plan your adventures in Canada. You need to evaluate the cost of living in Canada and plan your budget. Once it has been done, you can start looking for accommodation in the city your college or university is located in.
Finally, book your tickets to Canada and arrive in your new city for the adventure you had imagined.
How can Y-Axis assist you to Study in Canada?
Y-Axis is the right mentor to advise you on Study in Canada. It helps you with
- Choose the best path for you with the help of Y-Path.
- Coaching services, assists you to aceyour IELTS test results with our live classes. This helps you to score well on the exams required to study in Canada. Y-Axis is the only overseas consultancy which provides world-class coaching services.
- Get counseling and advice from proven expertise to advise you in all the steps.
- Course Recommendation, get an unbiased advice with Y-Path that puts you on the right path to success.
- Guides and assists you in writing commendable SOPs and Resume.
Do you want to study in Canada? Contact Y-Axis, the No. 1 Overseas Study Consultant.
If you found this blog helpful, you may want to read