The Y-Axis blog

Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here

Basic requirements for a student visa in Australia

Posted on March 20, 2020
Comment (0)
Share :

student visa in Australia

Students wanting to study in Australia must fulfil certain basic requirements to qualify for a visa. Once you get admission into a full-time course at an Australian University you can apply for a visa under Subclass 500.

Here is a list of compulsory requirements that must be submitted along with his visa application.

  1. Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate
  2. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
  3. Proof of finance
  4. English Proficiency test results
  5. Health Requirements
  6. Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  7. Character Requirement

1. Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) certificate:

Your visa application must include the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which is usually in the electronic format. You will get your CoE once you enroll in an Australian college/university and pay the tuition fee. The CoE acts as proof that you have been accepted by a college in Australia.

2. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Statement:

The GTE statement proves that you intend to come to Australia to study and you will go back to your home country once you complete your studies or after a few years of work experience.

3. Proof of finances:

Your visa application must include proof that you have the funds to cover your course fees, travel and living costs. If you have dependents you should prove that you have the funds to cover their living costs.

4. English proficiency:

To prove your English proficiency, you will need to provide results of tests in the English language like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE. The required score in these tests depends on the course you will be studying.

5. Health requirements:

 To study in Australia, you need to provide a health certificate. To do this you will need to have a health checkup and get a health certificate.

6. Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC):

Under Australian rules, students from abroad should have health insurance- Overseas Health Insurance Cover or the OSHC. This provides basic medical and hospital cover for the duration of your course. You can purchase this insurance through your university.

7. Character requirements:

You should have proof of good character to get your visa. For this, you may need to get a police certificate. You should fill the Character Statutory Declaration Form when submitting your visa application.

Before you submit your visa application, ensure all the above requirements are met.

Share :


More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

five − 4 =



Follow Us

We want to hear from you!