Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency, which is the best for Immigrants?
Posted on November 8, 2018
People willing to move to Canada often aim for Canadian Citizenship. It is observed that most of them are not aware of the permanent Residency option in Canada. If one spends some years in Canada as a permanent resident (PR), they can apply for citizenship. However, most Canada Immigration aspirants do not know that PR is as good as citizenship.
What are the benefits of PR?
The 5 most beneficial aspects of Canada PR are –
- Permanent Residency status allows Immigrants to study, live and work anywhere in Canada
- One can apply for Canadian citizenship after spending sufficient years in Canada as a Permanent Resident
- Immigrants can avail of the rights and protections under the Canadian laws
- As a PR, one gets the social benefits such as social services, education, healthcare
- One can sponsor family members to Immigrate to Canada
In addition, one can retain their home country citizenship. Permanent Residents are not forced to apply for citizenship at any point in time. It’s useful for those who might want to go back to their home country in the future, as quoted by the CIC News.
However, Canada also allows Immigrants to have dual citizenship. Hence, one can retain the citizenship of both countries if their home country allows the same.
What extra does Canadian Citizenship offer?
Canadian Citizenship provides Immigrants with some additional advantages. Let’s have a look at the following list –
- A citizen can vote in the elections. They can also run a political office unlike a permanent resident
- A citizen will have a Canadian passport. They get to travel to many countries with the advantage of a traveler from Canada
- A citizen can apply for jobs in government departments like defense, army etc
When can a PR apply for Canadian citizenship?
A Permanent Resident should be physically present in Canada for 1,095 days immediately before applying for the citizenship. So, if Immigrants aim to obtain Canadian Citizenship, the first step is to get the Permanent Residency.
Y-Axis offers a wide range of visa and immigration services as well as products to overseas immigrants including Business Visa for Canada, Work Visa for Canada, Canada Migrant Ready Professional Services for Express Entry Full Service, Canada Migrant Ready Professional Services for Express Entry P R Application, Canada Migrant Ready Professional Services for Provinces, and Education Credential Assessment. We work with Regulated Immigration Consultants in Canada.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…