Highlights: You are now allowed to change your university after reaching Canada
- You can change your DLI or course in Canada by following a few easy steps.
- You will only have to inform of the changes to IRCC if you are in Canada.
- If outside Canada, you can submit the new letter of acceptance while your application for the permit is still going on.
- You must submit a new study permit application once again in case of an approved permit.
- You must get a CAQ if the new DLI is in Quebec and your previous university was outside the province.
- If you were already studying in Quebec, you must contact the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.
*Want to study in Canada? Get yourself enrolled into Y-Axis Coaching services.
Change your University after going to Canada
Did you know you can change your Designated Learning Institute (DLI) or course in Canada if you have a valid study permit or visa? Yes, with the help of the Canadian immigration department, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you can switch your university or course after going to Canada.
*Not sure about the course selection? Avail Y-Axis Course Recommendation Services to find the right one.
Inform Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
The process of changing your course or institute is not at all tedious, and you will not even have to change your permit. All you have to do is intimate IRCC of any changes you have made in your course or DLI. However, when you decide to stop continuing with your current institute, you will have only 150 days to start a new course at a different university. And failure to do so will impact the conditions of your study permit.
Steps to change your course or college
The step to change your DLI is simple and can be done by yourself. You do not even need any representative to do this.
Below is the step-by-step process on how to change your DLI:
- Create an online account: You must create an account online, even if you applied for the permit offline, and then link your application there.
- Study Permit Number: The study permit number starts with the letter “S” and is displayed at the top right corner of the permit. They might also ask you to give a few more details for security reasons.
- The DLI number of the new institute: You can get it from the list of designated learning institutions.
- Student Identification Number (Student ID): The new student id will be in your new institute’s acceptance letter.
- The date of commencement at your new college will be provided.
How to change your DLI if you are outside Canada?
If you are asking for a change in the DLI from outside Canada and,
- Your supplication for the permit is ongoing; you can submit the new letter of acceptance with the help of the IRCC web form.
- Your application for the permit is approved; you must submit a new study permit application once again with the letter of acceptance from the new university. You will have to pay all the necessary fees for the new application.
If the new DLI is in Quebec
You must get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) if your new institute is in Quebec and the previous university was outside the province.
And, if you are studying in Quebec and wish to change institute, course, or level of study, you should contact the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.
If you liked this blog, then you will also like these…
Average hourly salary in Canada is now $42.58, an increase of 9% from last quarter – StatCan reports
Did you know? You can change your university after landing in Canada.
Posted on May 15, 2023