Difference between a Work Permit and Green Card
Posted on April 21, 2009
There are 2 ways how you could go and work in a Country of your choice, one way is through a work permit ( which is a temporary visa ) and other is through a permanent residence visa ( which is Permanent ) . Whether you choose any ways , your ultimate motive of working is solved but we need to find which visa is more beneficial.
1) Work Permit is a letter which is given by an Employer giving you the permission to come and work with him. This visa will restrict you to work with his company only and in the city where he is located. You will be under an agreement with him and whenever your agreement will get over you will be at his mercy for the extension. In this while if you are willing to change the job you cannot do it being there itself , infact you will need a NOC letter from the employer and a fresh work permit from another employer , and then you need to again come back to India to get the visa stamped.
2) You will not be able to get benefits like free medicals , unemployment benefits , free education for children , in case you want to study you cannot do it on this visa, conversion of this visa into permanent residence is also difficult.
3) You will not be able to sponsor you relatives under this visa.
4) Most importantly this visa does not give you stability and chances of your visa being a work permit being cancelled is also high, hence the investment you do for this visa will not be fruitful in this case. Tomorrow if you are really happy in the country and looking forward for permanent residence you will not be able to do so and you might have to return once your work permit is over , and there might be a situation that because of rules changed you might find difficult to get a fresh job.
The benefits of Permanent Residence visa:
1) Every country is in requirement of skills and they come up with different option of visa for people to come and live and work in their country. Hence they come up with Permanent Residence Visa which are point based and if you qualify for it all you need is to represent your documents and pay the visa fees and apply for the visa. This will be your Independent visa , which gives you an opportunity to stay and work in any part of the country and work with X Y Z employers of your choice as well as in a field of your choice. You can even do your own business which you cannot do under WORK PERMIT.
2) These visas are mostly Family Visas and you can migrate along with your family , where your family can get benefit of free medicals, education benefit etc, which you do not get under Work Permit . Under Permanent Residence visa you can even further Study but if you want to study under Work Permit you will have to change your visa status into a Student visa which will only allow you to work part time.
3) The Permanent Resident visa can be easily converted into a Citizenship after fulfilling the requirement for the same , this will enable to have a International Passport and you will not require a visa to travel to countries like USA , Uk , Aus , New Zealand etc.
4) You can even Sponsor your relatives later and fulfill their dreams of settling overseas.
5) You PR visa cannot be cancelled like Work Permit.
6) The money that you invest for PR visa is one time investment and benefit is for life long, whereas work permit involves frequent investment.