With restrictions being imposed on the allotment of H-IB visa, those seeking to move to the US are looking at the alternative of applying for an EB-5 visa to settle there. This is an immigrant investor program that encourages migrants to invest in US businesses and subsequently gain unconditional permanent residency in the country.
Foreign nationals eligible to invest under the EB-5 program are qualified to receive the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program visa. Their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years also qualify to receive the EB-5 visa.
This visa option is preferred over others because it does not have any language, skill or education requirements or the need for sponsorship by an employer.
One the visa is approved; the migrant and his family will be eligible for conditional permanent residency. They can live and work anywhere in the US while fulfilling the EB-5 visa requirements. Once the applicant’s I-829 petition is approved, they will be eligible for unconditional permanent residency.
The EB-5 visa application process involves various steps. The first step in finding the right investment opportunities is the most crucial. This involves intensive research. Till now investors are eligible to apply for the EB-5 visa provided they are willing to make a minimum investment of $ 500,000 in a project located in a targeted employment area (TEA). However, if they want to invest in a project located in a non-TEA, the minimum investment required is $1 million.
Effective from November 21, the US government has revised minimum investment amounts as under:
TEA project: Increase from $500,000 to $900,000.
Non-TEA project: Increase from $1 million to $1.8 million
With less than a week left for modifications in the minimum investment amount in both TEA and Non-TEA areas, as an investor, you will be keen to find the right investment opportunities to qualify for the visa.
How to find the right investment options:
With more amount at stake, your decision to invest for the EB-5 visa will be dependent on finding the right investment opportunities which will meet the requirements of the EB-5 regional center program requirements. This is important if you want to qualify for permanent residency.
Here are five factors you should consider:
- Risk factor: Though you cannot eliminate the risk in investment, you can minimize it. For this, study the past success rate of the regional center. Analyze its project approval rate, the I-829 Petition approval rate to take a call.
- Understand the project details: Before deciding to invest in a project, get an understanding of the following factors:
- Business plan
- Job creation methods
- Financial projections
- Compliance and permits
- Exit strategies
- Reputation of the regional center: Assess the developer and management teams of the center by consulting past investors. This will give you an idea of their experience and success rate.
- EB-5 Compliance: Find out if the regional center team is well-versed with EB-5 compliance. Your application could be delayed or even denied if it does not comply with requirements.
- Communication: Find a regional center which is willing to communicate all the key stages of the process. This will reduce some amount of your stress when you decide to invest a significant amount of your money in a project in the US while staying in your home country.
The EB-5 visa holds out the possibility of unconditional permanent residency for migrants. If you are willing to invest the required amount and your visa is approved, there are no restrictions on where you want to live, study or work in the US.
Finding the right EB-5 Visa Investment Opportunities
Posted on November 16, 2019