The European Union Council has adopted new rules for Immigration Liaison Officers. These are deployed to 3rd nations by the EU or member states for dealing with issues related to immigration. The new laws aim to strengthen the coordination and cooperation between these ILOs.
The regulation adopted by the EU Council aims to enhance the functioning of the network of European Immigration Liaison Officers. The following provisions are included in the new rules:
- AnEU level Steering Board for strengthening the network and management of Immigration Liaison Officers. This is while keeping up the competency of the deploying authorities. It is for ensuring clear channels of communication and effectiveness.
- A more powerful role for ILOs to combat smuggling of immigrants
- ILOs will collate information to assist 3rd nations to prevent illegal inflows of immigrants. They will also support the management of borders at the external borders of the EU.
- Immigration Liaison Officers can also assist EU member nations to facilitate the return of unlawfully residing nationals from 3rd nations.
- To support activities of ILOs allocation of funds will be made with the concurrence of Steering Board
ILOs are deputed to 3rd nations by EU member nations and the EU. This is for establishing and maintaining contacts with the host nation authorities on immigration issues. This includes managing lawful immigration, combating and preventing unlawful immigration and facilitating the return.
The EU adopted a law in 2004 to create a network of ILOs for coordinating efforts of officers within a 3rd nation or regions. Around 500 ILOs are currently deputed by EU member nations to 100 plus nations. However, the gaps in coordination continue that the new rules aim to address, as quoted by the Consilium Europa EU.
Y-Axis offers a wide range of visa and immigration services as well as products to aspiring overseas immigrants including Jobseeker Visa, Y-International Resume (Senior Level) 5+ yrs, Resume Marketing Services, One State and One Country, Y Jobs Premium Membership, Y-Path, Y-Path for Licensed Professionals, Y-Path for Students & Fresher’s, Y-Path for Working Professionals and Job Seeker, International SIM card, Forex solutions, and Banking services.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to EU, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Consultants.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
EU Council adopts new rules for Immigration Liaison Officers
Posted on June 24, 2019