Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

Everything you need to know about RSA Certificate in Australia

Posted on August 22, 2023
Comment (0)
Share :

Who needs an RSA Certificate in Australia?

  • To be eligible to work in the hospitality industry
  • To know all the requirements regarding alcohol in Australia
  • To be qualified to serve alcohol in Australia responsibly
  • To not serve alcohol to underage customers
  • To make customers consume alcohol within safe drinking limits

Everything you need to know about RSA Certificate in Australia

If you want to work in an establishment that sells or serves alcohol in Australia, you need to obtain a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. You require taking a one-day course, which varies from one state to another in Australia. Upon completion of this course, you will receive an RSA certificate.

Introduction to RSA Certificate

The Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate confirms that you are aware of Australian alcohol laws. It is necessary to have it in case you intend to work in the hospitality industry in Australia.

All the states in the country, also known as the Land Down Under,’ mandate you to have an RSA certificate by undergoing an RSA Training course. This certificate will then allow you to work in any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold or served, such as bars, pubs, restaurants, hotels, etc.

When you are undergoing the RSA training, you will learn what rules you have to follow while providing alcohol responsibly. Your job will entail you identifying consumers who have drunk more than permissible limits and underage drinkers as well.

The aim of the course is to promote awareness about drunk driving and how it can be avoided. RSA certificate will help you understand the laws governing the consumption of alcohol in Australia.

RSA courses are available online in the Australian states of Northern Territory, Queensland, Western Australia, and South Australia. You must do the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course while being supervised by a capable trainer in the states of New South Wales, The Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania, and Victoria.

This is due to the fact that every Australian state has its unique liquor licensing rules, but certain states recognize the RSA course, which is nationally accredited.

All the jobs where a RSA certificate is needed in Australia require you to handle alcohol or supervise services of alcohol. Although certain job roles may differ from one Australian state to another, the following is a list of jobs that require an RSA certificate:

  • Bartenders
  • Employees who work for a bar
  • Attendants and owners of Bottle Shops
  • Room Service Employees
  • Glass Collectors (Bussies)
  • Wine Stewards
  • Security Staff at Licensed Premises where alcohol is served

The Scope of an RSA Training Course

In the RSA training course, the things you can do are as follows.

  • RSA certificate holders can serve, sell, and lawfully advertise alcohol.
  • You will know how to gauge and identify the intoxication levels of customers.
  • You will know how to sell or serve alcohol responsibly.
  • You will be able to make customers having alcohol stay within drinking limits that are considered safe.
  • It will aid you in knowing your underage customers.
  • It will help you know what roles you and your employer will play to adhere to the law.
  • It will let you know how to measure permissible drinking levels and advise customers on how to drink responsibly.

Obtaining an RSA Certificate

You can get an RSA certificate by attending a course in a class at a training center that is certified by the government or by undertaking it totally online.

By the way, since only some of the states approve online training, ensure that the state you will be working in accepts it or not.

Note: Ensure to verify the firm where you are undergoing a course is an accredited Registered Training Organisation (RTO) when on the lookout for a venue to complete your RSA.

Also, remember that RSA Certificates vary from one Australian state to another.

RSA/RCG Competency Card

If you are intending to work in an establishment that sells or serves alcohol or runs gambling services, you must have completed RSA or Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) training.

Upon the completion of your course, you will be the recipient of an interim certificate(s) of RSA/RCG. Following that, you can apply for an RSA/RCG competency card.

This competency card can also be accessed using your own mobile service.

If you are intending to work in Australia, get in touch with Y-Axis, a premier overseas career consultancy, to get the proper guidance and assistance.


Share :

More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

four − three =




Follow Us

We want to hear from you!