All you need to know about Canada’s Global Talent Stream
Posted on September 4, 2022
Highlights of Canada’s Global Talent Stream
- Canadian government speeds up the immigration process for foreign workers who are eligible under the Global Talent Stream work permit within two weeks.
- Around 5,000 positions have been filled using the Global Talent Stream in Canada.
- The Global Talent Stream applications have been processed through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) which implies the collective work of inviting newcomers to Canada to fill in the specific labor need.
- A Foreign worker coming to Canada cannot directly apply for Global Talent Stream, which the Canadian employer needs to do for the worker.
- Canada has huge plans to welcome around 1.3 million between the years 2022 to 2024, where two-thirds of the immigrants come through the economic level of programs.
- Canada’s labor market is rising continuously. Tech jobs among them have had a huge demand since the post-pandemic.
Canada’s Global Talent Stream
Canadian Government increased the pace of immigrating eligible workers’ applications under the process of Global Talent Stream work permit in two weeks. This program is collectively governed and managed by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
The Global Talent Stream is first been introduced in 2017 and is one of the major sources of Canada’s immigration strategy. Canada is welcoming global new talent to build their careers. Canada’s job market has been rising for the last 3-5 years. Tech jobs stand in the top 10 on the list of enormous demands. However, there are more in-demand tech jobs during the pre-pandemic time to date.
What is Global Talent Stream?
Global Talent Stream is a program of immigration that helps the employers of Canada to recruit foreign workers for specific occupations, particularly for those where there are no Canadians available to fill in the gaps for those respective occupations.
Global Talent Stream (GTS) is considered a precise solution where there is an extreme need for highly skilled workers. Under this GTS scheme, around 5,000 jobs were filled recently.
*Check your Eligibility to Canada through Y-Axis Canada Y-Axis Immigration point’s calculator
GTS and its categories
Basically, the applications of Global Talent Stream get processed using the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). This means a multitude of work permits inviting immigrants to come for the first time to Canada on a temporary work permit in order to fill out the specific labor requirement.
To become qualified under the Global Talent Stream, the Canadian employer needs to be suitable for the following two categories.
Category A: Designated Partner Referral
The employers of Canada need to be qualified under this category A, must look for a referral by any of the Global Talent Stream designated partner organizations, and must be employing specialized and distinctive talent.
Category B: In-Demand Job
For the employer of Canada to be eligible under category B, the employer needs to hire foreign workers to fill in a position on the Global Talent Occupations List. The list consists of highly skilled, in-demand occupations. The job must also pay an equal salary or wages above the particular position.
Once the employer gets confirmation about the eligibility of the streams then the employer can initiate the Global Talent Stream application. The employers can get the application form from the GTS official website and can submit it either online, by fax, or by mail. Employer’s, and foreign worker’s information is needed in the application along with the job offer, pay scale, and benefits.
Workflow of the Global Talent Stream work?
A foreign worker who is hoping to get a temporary work permit to move to Canada by being part of the Global Talent Stream cannot directly apply for it, because only the Canadian employer will be able to apply to the Global Talent Stream.
The first main objective is to find a job offer from a Canadian employer who is eligible for this program. And importantly the skill you have must belong to the specialized occupation of Canada.
The Global Talent Stream provides temporary work permits for around three years which is considered an efficient pathway for permanent Canadian immigration.
Provincial Nominee Program
The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) grants provinces and territories to participate to choose some set number of economic immigrants every year and nominate for PR.
The PNP streams are created to target foreign nationals who are eligible to suit the labor market and the economic needs of those particular regions.
Canada plans to invite around 1.3 million newcomers to the country between 2022 and 2024, which includes two-thirds of the foreign nationals moving using economic streams.
Reasons to build a tech career in Canada:
Instead of the US, many are willing to build their careers in technology in Canada. There are four main reasons for this.
- High requirement for tech jobs: Back then, foreign nationals highly applied for H1-B Visa and visited the US for high-skilled tech jobs. Later in the year 2017, the story was changed. The H1-B visas are being challenged, and sometimes outright denials also happen. These days becoming a skilled US foreign worker has become very difficult.
When the US made their H1-B rules strict, Canada launched a global skill strategy program to attract foreign investments and attract top-notch talent to Canada. There is a process called Global Talent stream, where a Canadian can apply for high tech salaries, and authorization of work can be obtained in a few weeks’ time. No excessive paperwork, no headaches, and extended overtime. According to 2022 Canada reports, there are a lot of jobs in the Technical stream.
- Easy to get a visa in a technology-based environment: Canada is experiencing a huge requirement for tech occupations from the world’s biggest companies. There has been a huge gain in tech requirements since 2018. Canada is trying to attract foreign nationals by offering hassle-free processes to obtain visas. Canada crossed and left San Francisco and Seattle behind in filling up the required tech occupations by foreign nationals.
- Montreal is a hub: Montreal is one of the largest cities in Canada’s Quebec province. Due to great universities, great companies, and many other factors. Montreal is the right option to work for genuinely innovative, cutting-edge technology opportunities.
- Obtain PR quickly: Canada is one of the immigrant-friendly countries globally at present. Canada has a simple route to getting permanent residence and can confidently apply for Canadian citizenship without putting much effort.
*Need assistance to apply for Canadian PR visa? Then get professional guidance from Y-Axis Canada overseas immigration expert
Categories to get tech jobs in Canada:
The growth in high-skilled tech jobs or workforce enables huge investments in the tech companies, also scaling down the technical capabilities across the country.
The working capital investment has seen a 215 percent to hit 14.2 billion in the last year, of which 9 million is from communications, technology, and information sectors. This enabled recruitment of more tech jobs.
Companies like Wealthsimple Canada and 1password have doubled their workforce in the past two years. The arrivals of global players are Walmart Canada, Reddit, Amazon, Google, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Meta have initiated hiring for tech jobs like software engineers, web developers, and information technology specialists to improve their career growth.
Soon these global tech companies are becoming a significant hub in Canada.
There are two types of programs for Canadian employers to hire highly skilled foreign talent.
- Temporary foreign worker program (TFWP).
- International mobility program (IMP).
One has to attempt Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for any program. It’s a document issued by Canada’s employment and social development authority (ESDC), which says that hiring a foreign national to fill in the requirement as no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available.
- Do you want work in Canada? Speak to Y-Axis overseas immigration career consultant for guidance
Occupations that do not require LMIA:
- Jobs that are included in an international trade accord
- Jobs are part of an accord between the federal government and a provincial government.
- Jobs that are deemed in the best interest rate of Canada.
The Pathways for a Canadian work permit:
Global talent stream: This stream is one of the temporary foreign worker programs which grants Canadian work permits, and the visa application processing is two weeks. This service used to have a massive experience due to backlogs in applications before immigration and refugee.
Express entry system stream: employers can bring the foreign nations by using this stream. The applicants who satisfy the eligibility criteria are known as an express of interest come under the express entry pool / federal immigration program or to a province nominal; program (PNP). Those filled in applications can be sent online.
The candidate profiles are matched. Dad tanked among the points-based system to check their eligibility, also called a comprehensive Ranking system.
Do you have a dream to migrate to Canada? Talk to World’s no.1 Y-Axis Canada overseas migration consultant.
Found this article interesting? Read more…