Global Talent Visa of the UK presents an opportunity for tech workers
Posted on July 4, 2020
With the US president, Donald Trump imposing a ban on the processing of H-1B workers for the rest of this year, those looking for an overseas career especially in the tech sector can consider the UK and its Global Talent Visa scheme to work in the country.
The Global Talent visa was introduced by the UK government on February 2020 to replace the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa.
Features of the visa include:
- Facilitates the entry of qualified people in selected fields to enter the UK.
- There is no cap on the number of applications.
- The visa application requires an endorsement from a list of endorsing bodies which are registered with the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
- The visa gives the freedom to move between organizations, jobs, and roles.
- Unlike the Tier 2 visa, the Global Talent visa does not specify any minimum salary threshold for the job roles.
- Those who have the visa can apply for UK settlement after three years and their family members and dependents can join them if they fulfil the eligibility requirements.
The UK tech industry is seeking to convince entrepreneurs to accept Britain ‘s global talent visa as an alternative to a US visa amid Trump’s new immigration restrictions. Tech firms are persuading entrepreneurs to start a business in UK cities like London.
UK firms interested in tech workers from overseas
UK firms are interested in hiring tech workers who are unable to go to the US because of the present restrictions.
Several UK business owners in the tech sector believe that hiring talent that would otherwise have gone to the US will reduce the talent shortage in the country.
Fortunately, the UK’s tech sector is also seeing an upward trend. Though the sector is not as well-developed like that in the US, big tech businesses are emerging in London. This means better job opportunities.
Apart from this, coming to the UK on the Global Talent visa offers other advantages. With this visa you are eligible to work without a sponsor in the UK for up to five years. Certain advantages include the versatility of changing positions and organizations or opting for self-employment. You can even start your own company or earn additional income as a consultant.
The Global Talent visa is an attempt to bring the brightest minds to the UK and can be a golden opportunity for tech workers looking for an alternative due to restrictions in the US.