GMAT or GRE – which one should you take?
Posted on October 29, 2018
Facing a dilemma between GRE and GMAT is inescapable for students planning to go abroad. Prospective MBA students can choose to take either GMAT or GRE exams. Even though both are accepted at most business schools, it’s worth checking with the one you’re interested in.
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
GMAT aims at testing skills that are important in real-world business and management success. 2,100 institutions and universities located in 114 countries accept this test score for their management programs. There are over 600 testing centers all over the world. The score is valid for up to five years.
GMAT test is offered on demand and year-round in cities throughout India. Fee for taking the exam is currently around Rs 16500. There are 29 test centers across the country. Students can even convert their GRE score to GMAT through ETS, as reported by India Today.
GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
The GRE test is for those who want to pursue a post-graduation, specialized Master’s degree in business or doctoral degree. The score is generally required by universities in the USA and Canada.
Over 1,000 test centers in more than 160 countries accept the GRE revised general test score. It is valid for up to five years after the testing year. Fee for taking GRE in India is Rs 12,000. However, a passport is mandatory for being eligible for the exam.
GMAT VS GRE
Every student planning to study at a business school overseas is baffled by the one dilemma – GRE or GMAT. Let’s have a quick look at how similar or different they are.
- GRE is a paper-based and computer adaptive test. Whereas GMAT is purely a computer adaptive exam
- In the GRE verbal section, the focus is always on vocabulary. In GMAT, it is on grammar, logic and reasoning skills
- In GMAT, the Math section requires the student to create a systematic approach in order to answer. However, in GRE, it is more about quick number sense and manipulation
- GRE consists of verbal reasoning, critical thinking and analytical skills sections
- GMAT comprises analytical writing assessment and quantitative, verbal and integral reasoning sections
- Duration of the exam for GRE is 190 minutes and that for GMAT is 210 minutes
Y-Axis offers Counseling services, Classroom and Live Online classes for GRE, GMAT, IELTS, PTE, TOEFL and Spoken English with Extensive Weekday and Weekend Sessions. The modules include IELTS/PTE One to One 45 min and IELTS/PTE One to One 45 min package of 3 to help aspiring overseas students with the language tests.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…