Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

How to apply for the UK work visa?

Posted on April 19, 2022
Comment (0)
Share :
How to apply for the UK work visa

If you are a skilled migrant who wants to work in the UK, apply for that country’s Skilled Worker Visa, which has replaced the Tier 2 visa.

Earlier, with the Tier 2 visa, skilled foreign workers could come to the UK to fill job openings for various skilled professions on a long-term basis in fields, including accountancy, IT, healthcare, and teaching.

After the Brexit was announced, European Union (EU) citizens will no longer be treated specially. As long as the UK was a member of the European Union (EU), people from this bloc had the right to work in the UK. But now, it is not applicable, and the Skilled worker visa can be acquired only by those who obtain a minimum number of points.

*Check your eligibility to UK with the help of Y-Axis UK Immigration Points Calculator.

The Skilled Worker visas cover citizens of both European Economic Area (EEA) and non-EEA countries. The Skilled worker visa has lowered the skill level threshold.

Earlier, job profiles requiring a degree or master’s qualification were entitled to sponsorship in the RQF level 6 positions. After the introduction of the Skilled Worker visa, it has been done away with, and even lower-skilled workers with the RQF level 3 positions can get sponsorship.

Requirements for Skilled Worker visa

After the British authorities lowered the skill threshold, the standard salary requirements were brought down. Currently, an employer will have to hire by paying a minimum salary of £25,600, or the position’s going rate. The one that is higher is accepted.

There is no Resident Labor Market Test requirement now, and there is no longer a limit on the number of individuals who can apply.

To get a Skilled Worker visa based on a points system, you require to get 70 points to be eligible for this visa. To obtain the minimum number of points to apply for this visa, you must have a job offer from an approved sponsor at the apt skill level and have English language proficiency of the proper level that will allow you to score 50 points.

If you are hired for a job with the minimum wage, you obtain the remaining 20 points.

To gain extra points 

You will get 10 points if you have a PhD that is applicable, 20 points with a PhD in any of the STEM fields, and 20 points if you get a job offer in an occupation where there is a skills shortage.

Even if you earn between 70% and 90% of the usual benchmark for your job, you get this visa, and also if you earn £23,040 per year and fulfill one of the following conditions:

  • There is a shortage of skills in your occupation.
  • If you are aged below 26, studying, graduated recently, or are undergoing professional training.
  • You have a PhD-level qualification in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) that applies to your job.

Eligibility requirements

Obtain a job offer from a sponsor with a Home Office license and have English Language skills at B1 level in Europe’s Common Framework of Reference for Languages.

Know if your occupation is placed on the Shortage Occupation List (SOL): The UK government publishes the SOL, which contains the list of professions with a shortage of professionals. You can apply for a work visa by identifying the skills in demand if you have one of them.

The government updates this list regularly by being abreast with the skill scarcities within Britain. Following the Coronavirus pandemic and the fallout of Brexit, SOL’s list of occupations is only expected to expand.

In-demand occupations: Though some occupations may not figure in the SOL, it does not mean that there are no skill shortages in that profession. For instance, temporary workers would be needed in the agricultural sector.

UK Graduate pathway

Introduced in July 2021, the new opportunity will let you apply for a visa with which you can stay for two years in the UK after completing your studies. It will allow you to search for work, begin working at any skill level, or wait for three years if you hold a PhD.

An accommodating post-study work visa where you don’t need to have a job offer or sponsorship from your employer before applying for it. With it, you will be able to be on the lookout for or take up employment in any skill or field.

Anyone with a valid visa, either Student Route or Tier 4, or UK degree graduate holders from or after July 1, 2021, are entitled to this Graduate Route visa. Citizens of all countries are eligible for this visa.

Remember that you are only authorized to stay and work for a limited period with the new Graduate Route, and it is not renewable. If you want to stay and work further in the UK after this visa lapses, you will have to opt for a different visa, such as a Skilled Worker visa.

Requirements for Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) 

To obtain a Skilled Worker visa, you need to obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship for the job opening from your employer. The CoS needs to be issued by the employer with whom you get a job. This visa is applicable for five years from the date of commencement in your CoS.

Need assistance to find a job in UK? Talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Overseas Career Consultant.

Found this article interesting, you may also read..

Job outlook in the UK for 2022
Share :

More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

11 + fifteen =




Follow Us

We want to hear from you!