How to migrate from India to the UK in 2021?
Posted on December 24, 2020
The United Kingdom is one of the top destinations for Indians wishing to migrate to another country. The UK offers good quality of life and a multicultural environment that makes it a favorite migration destination. The other reasons for migrating from India to the UK in 2021 include:
- Stable economy
- Demand for skilled talent
- High quality healthcare through NHS
- World class universities to pursue higher studies
Options to migrate to the UK
The UK offers a range of options for those who wish to move to the country. You can migrate to the UK:
- With a job offer to work in the country
- By going there as a student
- By getting married or engaged to a UK citizen or permanent resident
- As an entrepreneur setting up a business
- As an investor
There are various visa options to immigrate to the UK:
- Tier 1 Visa for highly skilled immigrants through a points-based system
- Tier 2 Visa for skilled workers who are sponsored by an employer in the UK
- Tier 5 Provisional Work Visa through the Youth Mobility Scheme
- Tier 4 UK Study Visa
- You must have the required scores in the English Language proficiency test which can be either IELTS or TOEFL.
- You must not be from a country that belongs to the EU or EEA.
- If you intend to come to the UK for study or work, you should have the required documents, work experience certificates etc.
- You must have the required funds to support yourself during the initial days of your stay.
- You must have the character and health certificates required for your visa.
In early 2020, the UK government announced the launch of a points-based immigration system which will come into effect from January 2021. The main features of the points-based migration are:
- Immigration candidates for both EU and non-EU nations will be treated the same way
- Highly skilled workers, skilled workers and students wanting to come to the UK must follow the points-based system
- A job offer is mandatory for skilled workers
- Salary threshold will now be 26,000 pounds per year, reduced from 30,000 pounds required earlier
- Applicants must prove that they can speak English (A-level or equivalent)
- Highly skilled workers will need to be endorsed by a UK body; however, they do not need a job offer
- Students will also come under the points- based system to study in the UK and must show proof of an admission letter from an educational institute, English proficiency and funds.
- 70 points is the minimum score required to be eligible for a visa
Scoring the 70 points required for visa eligibility
A job offer in the UK and the ability to speak English will get the applicant 50 points. The additional 20 points required to qualify for the visa can be gained through any of the following qualifications:
- Having a job offer that pays you 26,000 pounds or above per year will give you 20 points
- 10 points for a relevant PhD or 20 points for a PhD in a STEM subject
- 20 points for an offer for a job where there is a skill shortage
|Job offer||20 points|
|Job at appropriate skill level||20 points|
|English speaking skills||10 points|
|Salary of 26,000 and above or relevant PhD in a STEM subject||10 + 10 = 20 points|
Work permit options in the UK
Skilled professionals can come to the UK under the Tier 2 visa program. If their occupation is listed in the Tier 2 shortage occupation list, they can come to the UK on a long-term basis. Popular professions in the occupation list belong to the IT, finance, engineering fields.
There are currently two main routes available to overseas job seekers wishing to work in the UK
- Tier 2 (General) for highly skilled workers.
- Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) for highly skilled workers from multinational companies who are being transferred to the UK branch.
From January 1 2021, the Tier 2 (General) visa will be replaced with the Skilled worker visa.
The Skilled Worker visa will cover more people-The UK Skilled Worker visa was introduced to bring in highly skilled overseas workers into the UK labor market and subsequently take up permanent residence in the UK.
With this visa, skilled workers from other countries can be selected based on the shortage occupation list and they will be eligible to get an offer letter without the labor market test and stay in the UK for up to 5 years.
The skill level threshold will be lower-At present job roles that require a Degree or Master’s qualification are eligible for sponsorship (RQF level 6 roles) but with the Skilled Worker visa, sponsorship will be available to even lower-skilled workers (RQF level 3).
Baseline minimum salary requirement will be lower-Since the skill threshold has been lowered, the baseline salary requirements will be reduced. The employer will have to pay a minimum salary of 25,600 pounds or the ‘going rate’ for the position, whichever is higher.
Flexibility to acquire the required points-The Skilled Worker visa is based on a points system; so, you can use the various points criteria to your advantage to get the required number of points to apply for this visa. You need 70 points to qualify for this visa.
|Benefits of the Skilled worker visa |
Eligibility requirements for the Skilled Worker visa
- You must have a score of 70 points to qualify in the defined parameters like specific skills, qualifications, salaries and professions.
- You need to have a Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 2 years of skilled work experience from the eligible occupations list
- You must have a job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor
- The job offer must be at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above (A Level and equivalent)
- You must meet the English Language requirement at B1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- You should also meet the general salary threshold of £25,600, or the specific salary requirement for the occupation or the ‘going rate’.
To choose the right visa option which will help you to migrate from India to the UK in 2021, take the help of an immigration consultant who will provide you with the right guidance.