There are various options for Indians wishing to move to the UK, they can migrate to the UK:
- With a job offer to work in the country
- As a student
- Marriage or engagement to a UK citizen or permanent resident
- Entrepreneur to set up a business
- As an investor
Eligibility requirements to move to the UK
- You must have the required scores in the English Language proficiency test which can be either IELTS or TOEFL.
- You must not be from a country that belongs to the EU or EEA.
- If you intend to come to the UK for study or work, you should have the required documents, work experience certificates etc.
- You must have the required funds to support yourself during the initial days of your stay.
- You must have the character and health certificates required for your visa.
For Indians considering the option of migrating to the UK, the most popular option would be the Skilled Worker visa which was introduced at the beginning of 2021 and replaced the Tier 2 Visa. The introduction of this visa coincided with the adoption of a points-based system by UK to determine the eligibility of immigrant applicants who wish to come to the UK.
Here are the details of the points-based system
- Highly skilled workers, skilled workers and students wanting to come to the UK must follow the points-based system
- A job offer is mandatory for skilled workers
- Salary threshold will now be 26,000 pounds per year, reduced from 30,000 pounds required earlier
- Applicants must prove that they can speak English (A-level or equivalent)
- Highly skilled workers will need to be endorsed by a UK body; however, they do not need a job offer
- Students will also come under the points- based system to study in the UK and must show proof of an admission letter from an educational institute, English proficiency and funds.
- 70 points is the minimum score required to be eligible for a visa
Scoring the 70 points required for visa eligibility
A job offer in the UK and the ability to speak English will get the applicant 50 points. The additional 20 points required to qualify for the visa can be gained through any of the following qualifications:
- Having a job offer that pays you 26,000 pounds or above per year will give you 20 points
- 10 points for a relevant PhD or 20 points for a PhD in a STEM subject
- 20 points for an offer for a job where there is a skill shortage
|Job offer||20 points|
|Job at appropriate skill level||20 points|
|English speaking skills||10 points|
|Salary of 26,000 and above or relevant PhD in a STEM subject||10 + 10 = 20 points|
Check your eligibility for UK migration here
The Skilled Worker visa is the most preferred option to move to the UK because there are no limits on the number of visas issued under this category. So, there are more chances of approval if you apply for this visa. Here are more details on the Skilled Worker Visa:
Eligibility requirements for the Skilled Worker visa
- Score of 70 points with qualifying points in defined parameters like specific skills, qualifications, salaries and professions.
- Minimum qualification of
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 2 years of skilled work experience from the eligible occupations list
- A job offer from an employer who is a Home Office licensed sponsor
- Meet the English Language requirement at B1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Meet the general salary threshold of £25,600, or the specific salary requirement for the occupation or the ‘going rate’.
Benefits of the Skilled worker visa
- Visa holders can bring dependents on the visa
- Spouse is allowed to work on the visa
- No cap on the number of people who can move to the UK on the visa
- Minimum salary requirement has been reduced to £25600 from threshold of £30000
- Fast Track Visas will be provided for healthcare professionals like doctors and nurses
- No requirement for the Resident Labor Market Test for employers
- Apply for settlement after five years of stay in the UK
Migrating to the UK as a student
You can move to the UK on a Tier 4 visa if you are joining a full-time study program.
Post study options for international students
International students in the UK on a valid Tier 4 visa can stay in the country after completing their studies provided, they have a job offer that pays the required salary.
They can move from a Tier 4 Visa to a Tier 2 General Visa with a five-year validity period.
The post-study work experience will help students to apply for permanent residence in the UK.
Migrating to the UK to set up a business
The Tier 1 visa offers two categories for setting up a business in the UK:
Tier 1 Innovator Visa
Tier 1 Startup Visa
Tier 1 Innovator Visa-This visa category is open to experienced businesspersons who wish to set up innovative businesses in the UK. The applicant must make a minimum investment of 50,000 pounds and the business must be endorsed by an endorsing body.
Features of the innovator visa
If are in the UK on an Innovator Visa or are already in the country on another valid visa, you can stay for up to three years.
The visa can be renewed for another three years, and you can renew it multiple times.
After five years on this visa, you are eligible to stay in the nation indefinitely.
Tier 1 Startup Visa
This visa category is reserved for high-potential entrepreneurs who are beginning a business for the first time.
This visa can be applied for three months before the desired date of travel to the UK. Other requirements for qualifying include:
A UK higher education institution or a business organization that helps UK entrepreneurs must endorse the company idea.
There is no need to make an initial investment.
The applicant must be 18 years old or older.
The applicant must be able to communicate in English.
Applicants must have sufficient finances to maintain themselves while in the UK.
Features of the Startup visa
This visa allows you to stay for up to two years and bring your spouse or partner, as well as unmarried children under the age of 18, with you.
You can fund your stay by working outside of your business.
After two years, you can apply for an innovator visa to extend your stay and grow your firm.
Global Talent Visa
The UK Global Talent Visa was introduced in the UK to cater to the ‘best and brightest’ from around the world.
The Global Talent visa gives visa holders the freedom to move between organizations, jobs, and roles. The visa does not specify any minimum salary threshold for the job roles like the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers does.
Eligibility requirements for the UK Global Talent visa:
Applicant must be a leader or potential leader in any of the following fields
- academia or research
- arts and culture
- digital technology
Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the UK, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Consultants.
How to migrate from India to UK in 2022?
Posted on September 25, 2021