How to migrate from Singapore to UK in 2023?
Posted on January 25, 2023
The United Kingdom will be one of the most in-demand countries for immigrants in 2023. A considerable number of people are migrating to the United Kingdom for work and studies. Singaporeans find suitable employment opportunities in the UK especially post introducing the skilled work visa.
Visa options for Migration
The United Kingdom offers plenty of visa options for immigrants –
Highly qualified foreigners
- Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Visa
- Tier 1 (Investor) Visa
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa
- Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa
Skilled foreign workers with a job offer in a shortage area
- Skilled worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) Visa
- Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Visa
- Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Visa
- Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) Visa
Youth mobility and temporary foreign workers
- Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Visa
- Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) Visa
In 2021, the government of the UK embraced a system that uses points to evaluate the eligibility of applications for immigrants. The essential features of this system include the following –
The point system must be adhered to by skilled professionals, students, and skilled workers who wish to migrate to the UK.
Skilled workers must have a job offer letter in hand.
The threshold of salary is now decreased to 26,000 pounds per year.
The candidate must submit proof of English language proficiency.
An endorsement from a UK employee is a must for highly skilled workers without the necessity of a job offer.
The basic eligibility for a visa is to score a minimum of 70 points.
What is the minimum point to be eligible for a visa?
- 50 points will be rewarded to candidates who have a job offer and prove their ability or proficiency in the English language. Twenty additional points that are required for a visa can be acquired through the following measures –
- Twenty points will be given to candidates with a job offer with an annual salary of 26,000 pounds.
- Ten points will be given to candidates with a specific Ph.D. and 20 points for a particular Ph.D. in a STEM-oriented subject.
- Twenty points will be given to candidates with a job offer in a skill-shortage field.
|Job offer||20 points|
|Job at appropriate skill level||20 points|
|English speaking skills||10 points|
|Salary of 26,000 and above or relevant PhD in a STEM subject||10 + 10 = 20 points|
*Check your eligibility with our UK Immigration points calculator
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Results of English proficiency test (IELTS, TOEFL)
- It would be best if you were not a member of an EEA or EU state.
- Prior work experience certificates and paperwork.
- Medical certificates
- Criminal clearance certificate
You can migrate to the country if –
- You have a job offer.
- As a student in studies
- By getting married to a citizen of the UK or a permanent resident
- As an investor
- As an entrepreneur
Migrate to the UK with a job offer
Singaporeans refugees interested in working in the UK can avail of the Tier 2 visa program. The shortage of occupations includes engineering fields, finance, and IT. Candidates can visit the UK for an extended time if the domain is mentioned in the shortage occupation list in the Tier 2 program.
Two pivotal courses can be chosen by job seekers overseas who wish to work in the United Kingdom:
Tier 1 (General) for highly skilled professionals
Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) for highly skilled workers from multinational companies that receive a transfer from their company to a branch in the UK.
The Tier 2 visa allows skilled workers from foreign countries to be selected based on the shortage occupation list. They become eligible to receive an offer letter without having to clear the labor test and stay in the country for a minimum of 5 years.
Eligibility criteria for the Skilled Worker Visa
- A minimum of 70 points to qualify in specifications like salary and professional field, skills, and qualifications.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with two years of professional work experience from the list of occupations.
- A letter of employment from a native sponsored with a license.
- Adhere to the English language requirement at the B1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Adhere to the salary requirement of £25,600 or the salary for the chosen occupation or field.
What are the benefits of the skilled worker visa?
- A skilled worker visa allows you to bring your dependents.
- The spouse can work based on this visa.
- There is no given cap on the people who can move to the United Kingdom on this particular visa.
- The minimum salary has been decreased from £30000 to a threshold of £25600
- Doctors and nurses can avail of fast-track visas.
- The candidates do not need to clear the Labor Market Test.
How to migrate to the UK as a student
The Tier 4 visa is for candidates who wish to move to the UK for full-time studies.
What are the Post study choices for international students?
International students with an active Tier 4 visa can stay in the UK post their studies, provided they have a work offer that offers the required salary.
They also have the option of upgrading to a Tier 2 visa with five-year validity from the Tier 4 visa.
The post-study experience acquired by the students can qualify them to apply for UK Permanent residence.
How to migrate to the UK to set up a business?
Tier 1 provides two different options for candidates who wish to set up a business in the UK –
Tier 1 Innovator visa
Tier 1 Start-up Visa
Tier 1 Innovator visa –
This option is for well-experienced people who wish to commence innovative business ventures in the UK. Fifty thousand pounds would be the minimum investment one has to make, and an endorsing authority must sponsor the business.
You become eligible for the Tier 1 Innovator visa if –
- You are not a citizen of the EEA and the country of Switzerland.
- You have plans to establish a business in the UK
- You have an inventive and extensible idea.
What are the features of the innovator visa?
- You can stay up to three years in the UK if you have an innovator visa or currently reside in the country on another visa type.
- This visa can be renewed for three years or multiple times if required.
- If you complete five years on this visa, you automatically become qualified to stay in the UK for an indefinite time.
Tier 1 Start-up Visa
The Tier 1 start-up visa is mainly for business professionals with high skills who wish to start a business for the first time.
What are the features of the Start-up visa?
This visa lets you stay in the UK for up to two years and allows you to get your spouses and children under 18 to stay with you.
You can find employment outside your business to manage your funds for the stay.
Your visa can be extended after two years, but an innovator visa can also be applied to extend your stay and work on your business.
This type of visa can be applied for three months before the date of travel to the UK.
Some other requirements to qualify to include the following –
- You are not a citizen of Switzerland or an EEA (European Economic Area) member.
- You wish to start a business in the UK.
- You must meet the age requirement of being 18 years or above.
- You must be fluent in English language.
- You must have enough funds to provide for yourself in the country.
Global Talent Visa
The Global Talent visa in the UK was established for distinguished and acknowledged people worldwide.
This type of visa lets people traverse between jobs, businesses, and other responsibilities without limitations. There is no minimum level of income set for the job roles.
What is the eligibility for the UK Global talent visa?
Some of the eligibility criteria include the following –
The candidate must be highly accomplished in the
- Field of research or academics
- Cultural arts
- Digital technology
The application must be 18 years old or above.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the UK, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Consultants.
If you found this article interesting, you may also want to read…