How to migrate from UK to Australia in 2023?
Posted on January 24, 2023
Why migrate to Australia?
- Excellent career opportunities in different sectors are available in Australia
- Immigrants can migrate to Australia through different visas
- Employees can earn a minimum wage of AUD 813 per week
- Australia has the unemployment rate of 3.4 percent
- Australia provides high quality of life
Reasons for Australia migration
Many UK citizens want to migrate to Australia due to many reasons. One of the factors is a high quality of life in the country. Another reason is the availability of jobs in various sectors. There are different types of visas which the UK citizens can use to migrate to Australia. Candidates have to meet the eligibility criteria which are different for each visa.
Many visas can be used to apply for permanent residence in Australia. The government of Australia has established many immigration systems to streamline the process of immigration. Candidates can apply for an Australia PR visa on the basis of points system. They have to score a minimum of 65 points to get an invitation to apply for an Australia PR visa.
There are two streams under which different types of visas are available. These streams are
- Skilled Stream
- Family Stream
Australia points system
Candidates have to gain at least 65 points to become eligible to apply for an Australian visa. The factors and the points for each of them can be found in the table below:
|Age (25-32 years)||30 points|
|English proficiency (8 bands)||20 points|
|Work Experience outside Australia (8-10 years)||15 points|
|Work Experience in Australia (8-10 years)||20 points|
|Education (outside Australia) – Doctorate degree||20 points|
|Niche skills such as Doctorate or master’s degree by research in Australia||10 points|
|Study in a regional area||5 points|
|Accredited in community language||5 points|
|Professional year in a skilled program in Australia||5 points|
|State sponsorship (190 visa)||5 points|
|Skilled spouse or de facto partner (Age, Skills & English language requirements to be met)||10 points|
|Spouse or de facto partner with ‘competent English’ (No need to meet Skills requirement or age factor)||5 points|
|Applicants without a spouse or de facto partner or where a spouse is an Australia citizen or PR holder||10 points|
|Relative or regional sponsorship (491 visa)||15 points|
Australia is in dire need of skilled workers to live, work, and settle in the country. Skilled immigrants have a high level of education and work experience. They have a greater chance to get an occupation in Australia. Candidates sponsored by employers have the ability to contribute to the Australian economy.
The most popular immigration system is the skilled stream where candidates are invited on the basis of points system. Skilled workers can use the General Skilled Migration Program to migrate to Australia. The eligibility criteria to apply under this program are as follows:
- Age of the applicants should be below 45 years
- The qualifications have to be included in the medium and long-term strategic skills list.
- A designated assessing authority has to assess the skills of the applicants.
- Candidates need to have good health and character. This can be proved through a medical and character certificate respectively.
The visas that come under this program are discussed below in detail.
Skilled Independent visa
The other name of this visa is subclass 189. The visa has been designed to attract workers with skills needed for different sectors in Australia. Candidates can apply for this visa if they get a minimum of 65 points.
Immigrants holding this visa will be able to invite their close relatives as this is a permanent resident visa. The validity of this visa is five years. If people are out of Australia and the visa expires, they can return back through the Resident Return visa (subclass 155 or 157).
Skilled Nominated visa
Candidates can apply for this visa if an Australian territory or state nominates them. The eligibility criteria of this visa are same as that of the Skilled Independent visa. Applicants need to have experience in nominated occupations available in the Skilled Occupation List.
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 Visa
The subclass 491 is also known as Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa. This is a visa which allows the primary applicants and their families to live, work, and study in the regional areas of the country. The validity of this visa is five years. Candidates will be eligible to apply for an Australia PR visa after three years.
Global Talent Program
It is a program introduced to invite tech talent to meet the skills shortage. The target of the Global Talent visa is to invite tech workers to work in Australia in the future-focused industries. There are also plans to expand the GTS program to apply for an Australia PR visa.
Benefits of this visa are:
- Stay permanently in Australia
- Study and work in Australia
- Enrol in the public healthcare scheme known as Medicare
- Immigrants have the opportunity to sponsor their relatives to come to Australia
- Travel from and to Australia for 5 years
- Apply for Australian citizenship
Distinguished Talent visa
The Distinguished Talent visa has been designed to invite candidates who have experience in arts, sports, academic, or research sectors. There are two subclasses of visas which include subclass 858 and subclass 124.
Here are the eligibility criteria for the visa:
- Excellent achievement is needed in the profession
- Should become an asset to the Australian community
- Get job or start a business easily
- Nomination has to be done by:
- an Australian peak body or organization
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- an eligible New Zealand citizen
Business Innovation and Investment Program
If you are an investor, business owner, or a senior executive, you can apply through the Business Innovation, and Investment program. You will have the opportunity to start a new business or manage and maintain an existing one in Australia.
There are four streams in this program which are:
- Business Innovation stream: This is the stream for the candidates who want to undertake any business in South Australia
- Investor stream: This stream is for the candidates who are able to invest and maintain AUD 2.5 million for the validity period of the provisional visa. If candidates are over 55 years, they have to invest AUD 3.75 million.
- Significant Investor stream: This stream is for the immigrants who have the ability to invest AUD 5 million in a complying investment fund. The investment has to be made till the validity of the provisional visa.
- Entrepreneur stream: This is a stream, for the candidates who received support from a selected Service Provider to commercialize a product or develop a new business in Souith Australia.
The visa fee for all these streams can be found in the table below:
|Visa subclass||Application fee||Fee per applicant aged 18 years and above||Fee per applicant aged under 18 years|
|Subclass 188 – Investor stream||$4,780||$2,390||$1,195|
|Subclass 188 – Business Innovation stream||$4,780||$2,390||$1,195|
|Subclass 188 – Significant investor stream||$7,010||$3,505||$1,755|
|Subclass 188 – Entrepreneur stream||$8,410||$4,205||$2,015|
The eligibility criteria for the visa are as follows:
- A minimum score of 65 is needed
- Proof of business success has to be shown through the ownership interest and annual turnover
- Business and personal assets should be at least:
- AUD 1.25 million in the case or receiving ITA after July 1, 2021
- AUD 800,000 in the case of receiving ITA before July 1, 2021
Australian citizens and permanent residents have the opportunity to invite their close relatives to migrate to Australia through the family stream. The close relatives who can be invited are:
- Common-law partners
- Dependent children
- Elderly relatives
- Dependent relatives
Australia Immigration Plan
Australian immigration plan is released every year to invite more immigrants to live, work, or study in Australia. The table below shows the Australia immigration plan 20022-2023:
|Visa Stream||Visa Category||2022-23|
|Business Innovation & Investment||5,000|
|Global Talent (Independent)||5,000|
|Total Migration Program||195,000|
The details of the allocation for each state in the 2022-2023 immigration plan can be found in the table below:
|State||Skilled Nomination (Subclass 190) Visa||Skilled Work Regional (Subclass 491) Visa|
How Y-Axis can assist you to work in Australia?
Y-Axis provides the following services to help you to work in Australia:
- Counseling: Y-Axis provides free counseling services.
- Job services: Avail job search services to find jobs in Australia
- Eligibility: Use Y-Axis Australia Immigration Points Calculator to check your eligibility
- LinkedIn Marketing Services: Y-Axis will help in creating LinkedIn profile through LinkedIn Marketing Services
- Resume Writing: Avail Y-Axis Resume Writing Services to make an outstanding CV
Willing to migrate to Australia? Talk to Y-Axis, the world’s no. 1 overseas immigration consultant.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like …