How to migrate to Canada and settle as an international student?
Posted on September 8, 2021
Study permit in Canada
To follow this path, you need a study permit before pursuing your education as an international student. It is a document given by the Canadian government to foreign nationals which allows them to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI).
Now you need to know the step-by-step procedure to obtain a study permit and prepare yourself to move to Canada.
Step 1: Select and get enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
Before applying for a study permit in Canada, you need to decide which school you want to go to. Each province and territories in Canada designate different schools for international students. These schools are known as Designated Learning Institutions (DLI).
After selecting the suitable program from Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs), and proceed further to apply. You need to include a letter of acceptance from Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs).
Step 2: Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria
Additionally, you also need to get an acceptance letter from DLI.
There are other eligibility criteria to apply for a study permit to Canada, which includes:
- Proof of funds: This proof should support the expenses for your stay.
- No criminal record: You need to prove you have no criminal record by getting a police certificate
- Medical reports: You should go through a medical exam to prove you have good health.
- Proof you will leave after the permit expires: Finally, at the time of the visa interview, you need to prove to the immigration officer that you will leave the country after your study permit expires.
Step 3: Arrange the required documents
You need to arrange a set of documents to apply for a study permit to Canada. These documents include the following:
Proof of acceptance: This is the letter of acceptance from your Designated Learning Institution (DLI). This can be submitted in the form of an original acceptance letter or an electronic copy.
Proof of identity: You need to provide a valid passport or a travel document along with two recent passport-sized photographs.
Proof of financial support: To submit the financial support, you can submit the following documents as proof of funds
Canadian bank account in your name
You need to create a Canadian bank account in your name and transfer the money to Canada. To get the bank account, you need to book an appointment with Scotia bank to create the account.
You also need to get a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a Canadian financial institution. For this, Scotiabank offers a Student GIC Program that is used to show the proof of funds. To avail of all these, you need to arrange the following documents:
- Student or education loan certificate from a bank.
- Bank statements for the past four months.
- Bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars.
- Receipt of fees paid (tuition and housing fees).
- Letter from the school, who is giving you money.
- Funding-related proofs within Canada (if you are having a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program).
Along with these, you also need to provide:
- Letter of explanation: Describing why you want to study in Canada and you are aware of the responsibilities as a student.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ): If you are willing to study in Quebec for longer duration, more than six months then you need to submit the CAQ document. This is issued by the Gouvernement du Quebec. You can go through your DLI for more details on how to apply for the CAQ.
- Custodian declaration (minors only): Minors who require a custodian must include the Custodianship Declaration form along with their application form.
- Other documents: Other documents required may vary based on country or region.
Step 4: Application for a Study Permit in Canada
You can complete your application form online or by using a paper copy for a study permit. Based on the place you apply (outside Canada or inside Canada or at a port of entry), there are different instructions on how to proceed with a study permit.
To fill the application form for a study permit, you need to fill out the online or paper application. Later you need to provide all the required documents and pay the fees.
The fees include application processing costs and a biometric fee. While Biometrics includes your fingerprints and a digital photograph. At the same time, the other fees include a police certificate or medical exam based on your specific application.
After approval of your application, you will receive the study permit.
Student Direct Stream (SDS)
Based on the place you live, you might be eligible for the Student Direct Stream (SDS). This will allow you to speed up the study permit process. It mainly aims to process the SD applications within 20 calendar days.
To avail this, you need to provide your biometrics as soon as possible and meet all the eligibility requirements. The SDS application is available online.
Electronic travel authorization
You need to understand that a study permit is not a visa. So you need to apply for a visit visa to Canada or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to or enter Canada. If you apply for any one of these documents, you will receive it along with your study permit.
Step 5: Landing in Canada
After entering Canada, you have to set up basic necessities and make yourself conformable before the school year starts.
Before you enter Canada, you need to find a place to live in. For this, you can search for options like off-campus or on-campus. Getting accommodation in the university campus would be the safest thing. If you are unable to get the on-campus, then you can opt for your off-campus options.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like …