How your Canadian spouse can sponsor you for immigration?
Posted on March 7, 2022
In its bid to welcome more and more immigrants, Canada has laid down specific policies for the sponsorship of spouses. Canada has prioritized spousal sponsorship in its 2022-24 plans for Immigrations.
According to the Canadian Immigration Levels Plan 2022-2024, the government hopes to add more than 80,000 immigrants. This plan aids in bringing more immigrants by facilitating the arrival of family members of immigrants wanting to settle down in Canada. This is to be done via the Spousal, Partner, and Children stream.
How to go about the spousal sponsorship
If your conjugal partner, spouse, or common-law partner is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, here is how they would be able to sponsor you for immigration to Canada.
- The eligibility criteria have to be met by you and your partner
- Demonstration of the relationship is being authentic
- Proof that the person is not there with you only for the purpose of being granted citizenship of Canada
*Know about your eligibility to Canada with Y-Axis Canada Immigration Points Calculator.
Criteria for the applicant
The requirements of the person applying for their spouse or partner
- Above 18 years
- Permanent resident or citizens of Canada
- Native people under the Canadian Indian Act
- Proof of not granting of social assistance, except in cases of disability
- Evidence of the sponsored person’s financial needs
*Do you want to apply for the Canada PR? Y-Axis is here to guide you.
** Want to work in Canada? Y-Axis will assist you to set up a bright future in Canada.
Eligibility criteria for the person being sponsored
The person being sponsored has to meet at least one of the three criteria.
- Above 18 years
- You and your partner, a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, have been legally married in a ceremony.
- You and your Canadian partner must be living together for a period of at least 12 months.
- The IRCC might recognize it as a conjugal partnership if you are not married to your Canadian partner legally, but
- Both are in a relationship for a minimum of one year
- Reside outside Canada,
- Unable to marry your partner
Security, health, and criminal records screening must be passed to be considered fit for entry to Canada.
*Do you want to apply for dependent visa for Canada? Y-Axis will guide you through the process.
How to apply?
After establishing that you and your partner are eligible for sponsorship
- Apply for the sponsorship to the IRCC’s on the Canadian government’s website
- Pay the required fees on the website. It includes the cost for processing, the right of permanent residence fee, and the biometrics fee.
Two applications need to be submitted. It includes
- Sponsorship application
- Permanent residence application
After the approval of PR
After the approval of permanent residency by IRCC
- You would be responsible for your partner’s expenses for 3 years.
- You would have to repay the government, if financial assistance is sought by you
- The sponsored person cannot sponsor another person for five years.
Does the partner need to be present in Canada
The common-law partners or spouses need not be physically present in Canada for the sponsorship. The Canadian citizens may apply to sponsor their spouse or partners from abroad.
They have to give a proof to IRCC or Immigration, Refugees, and Citizens Canada that the people who are being sponsored will live in Canada after the application has been processed.
Only permanent residents can only sponsor their spouses within Canada, even if their spouse or partner is not physically present in Canada.
It takes around one year for the processing of the spousal sponsorship applications. Canada has launched a tracker for the applicants of spousal sponsorship to monitor the status of the application.
If you want to stay with your parents in Canada, avail the parent migration visa. For guidance, reach out to Y-Axis.
Immigration Levels Plan 2022-2024 of Canada
The 2022-2024 immigration plans of Canada aim to bring more than 4.3 lakh immigrants to Canada every year. This target has been the highest since the inception of projects to include immigrants in its population.
The goal of immigration is to reinforce the economy, reunite family members, and aid refugees.
Wish to migrate to Canada? Y-Axis is here to help you.
Statistics for the 2022-2024 Immigration Levels Plan
The planned number of immigrants to be included in the 2022-2024 is as follows.
|Category of Immigration||2022||2023||2024|
If you found this blog, interesting, you may want to read