How to ace IELTS Reading True False Not Given task
Posted on November 15, 2018
True False Not Given (TFNG) questions are one of the most tricky tasks in the IELTS Reading test. The biggest problem is to understand the ‘Not Given’ option. Candidates seem to confuse it a lot. Most of the time, they are not sure what it means. This, in turn, takes up a lot of time.
What is IELTS Reading TFNG task?
In this task, candidates are given statements containing information. Then they are presented with some texts along with options like True, False and Not given. They have to decide whether the texts are True, False or Not Given according to the information in the statement.
What do the options mean?
- True: It means that the text confirms the information in the statement.
- False: It means that the text contradicts the information in the statement.
- Not Given: It means that there is no such information in the statement.
- The words presented in the text are paraphrased from those in the statement. As reported by The Hindu, candidates usually struggle with their vocabulary here
- Candidates try to match words. It is wrong. Instead, the meaning should be matched. Words could be the same, although the meaning could be different
- Candidates tend to confuse ‘Not Given’ option with ‘False’. False is what contradicts the statement. Not Given means the entire information is missing in the statement
Tips to ace IELTS Reading TFNG task
- Understand the whole statement. Do not just focus on keywords
- Identify words like all, often, always, occasionally. These words test whether you have read the entire statement
- Look for the synonyms in the text. This will help you match the meaning
- The texts are sequential with the statement. The answer to the first question will come first in the passage. The second will come after that and the last one or two, near the end
- Don’t assume the answer based on your knowledge
- Don’t overanalyze. This would lead you to the wrong answer
The above tips should help candidates get started with their preparation. Remember, only practice can clear your doubts on the various options in the IELTS Reading TFNG task. Best of luck!
Y-Axis offers Counseling services, Classroom and Live Online classes for TOEFL / GRE / IELTS / GMAT / SAT / PTE/ GERMAN LANGUAGE. and Spoken English with Extensive Weekday and Weekend Sessions. The modules include IELTS/PTE One to One 45 min and IELTS/PTE One to One 45 min package of 3 to help aspiring overseas students with the language tests.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…