Five aspects you need to be aware of US Immigration and Citizenship
Posted on July 19, 2017
Below are the five aspects you need to be aware of US Immigration and Citizenship:
- You must have lived in the US on a US Permanent Residency Visa or the Green Card for 5 years to naturalize as a US Citizen. It is 3 years if you are married to and residing with a spouse who is a US citizen. There are specific rules for veterans, active military service members, refugees, and asylum seekers. Absence from the US for more than 6 months must be explained for. Seek services of an expert in US Immigration and Citizenship law if you have been away for one year prior to applying for the citizenship of the US.
- Possessing one of the below mentioned as family members may qualify you for a US Green Card:Brother or sister of US citizen, unmarried daughter or son of a US Permanent resident, married daughter or son of US citizen, spouse of US Citizen or Permanent Resident.Kids born out of the wedlock are often considered as children by the USCIS while taking into consideration the relationship between parent and child.
- If you have been interviewed by an Immigration Officer during your last entry to the US, you can appear for the interview for US PR, termed as adjustment status. The requirement is that you must be the spouse of US Citizen or PR holder, parent of a 21 year or older US Citizen, or unmarried minor child of a US Citizen. It is applicable irrespective of your status prior or after the last entry to the US.
- If you have obtained your Green card prior to becoming 18 years and have one of the parents was a citizen of the US or had become US Citizen prior you attained 18 years of age, you automatically become US Citizen via the parent.
- Only a person authorized by Board of Immigration Appeals or a lawyer or lawyer supervised paralegal is authorized to give advice to you on US Immigration and Citizenship.
The legal framework for US Immigration and Citizenship is complex. It is always advisable that you avail services of an accredited Immigration Consultant for all your requirements and application for US Immigration and Citizenship.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the US, contact Y-Axis, the world’s most trusted Immigration & Visa Consultant.