Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

The requirements and types of a US Student Visa for overseas students

Posted on August 28, 2017
Comment (0)
Share :

US Student Visa

The US Student Visa is of three types for overseas students that include M US Student Visa, J US Exchange Visa, and F US Student Visa.

F US Student Visa – It is for training, vocational or non-academic study in the US

J US Exchange Visa – It is for exchange program participation for university or high school study

M US Student Visa – It is for study at an accredited university or college in the US or for studying at an institute for English language

Prior to applying for any of the US Student Visa, overseas students must have been accepted at a higher education institution in the US. This institute must also be accredited by the Exchange and Visitor Program for Students, as quoted by the Education USA.

It must be noted that even if an institution is accredited by the Exchange and Visitor Program for Students it may not possess regional or federal accreditation. In spite of this, the institution will be able to issue the DS-2019 and I-20 forms used for the Applications of US Student Visa.

Council for Higher Education Accreditation and Department of Education in the US has the list of all US institutions with their accreditation status. Institutions that have been selected by the Cultural Affairs and Educational Bureau for J US Exchange Visas must be accredited. Recognition is credited and degrees awarded by the US and other institutions are associated with the accreditation of an institution.

Upon being accepted by a school certified by the Exchange and Visitor Program for Students you will receive a DS-2019 or I-20 form. This will be sent by the international student office of the institution to be presented while Applying for the US Student Visa.

Overseas students must note that two separate agencies of the US government are involved for their arrival and status while studying in the US. The processing and offering of the student visa are done by the US State Department.

Upon arrival to the US, the Department of Homeland Security in the US takes over the responsibility for entry to the US. It also issues and enforces regulations for overseas students.

If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the US, contact Y-Axis, the world’s most trusted Immigration & Visa Consultant.

Share :


More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one × four =



Follow Us

We want to hear from you!