Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

Your guide to Sweden’s permanent residence permit

Posted on October 14, 2019
Comment (0)
Share :

Sweden is in Northern Europe and forms a greater part of the Scandinavian peninsula. The country is known for its beautiful lakes, coastal islands, mountains, and forests. People from other countries are willing to settle here not only for the country’s scenic beauty but also because it is one of the safest places to live.
People from other countries come here to live and study owing to these factors. If you are one of them, the first thing you should do before you come to work or study here is to apply for a residence permit. This is compulsory if you are planning to stay in the country for more than three months. Residence permits are given on various grounds either for work, study or family ties.
People belonging to European Union nations are exempted from having a residence permit. Countries that have agreements with Sweden which allow their citizens to come and stay in the country are also exempted from residence permits.

Sweden’s permanent residence permit

There are two types of residence permits:

1. Temporary residence permit

2. Permanent residence permit

The temporary residence permit is valid for two years which can later be made permanent. The permanent residence permit is valid for a maximum of five years.

How do you apply for a residence permit?

The first step in the application process is to submit your application online and pay the fees using online payment methods.

If there is no facility to submit your application online, you can contact your local Swedish consulate or embassy in your country of origin and submit your application. If there is no embassy or consulate in your country, submit your application from the nearest country.

Required documents:

These are the general documents required to be submitted by all applicants:

  • A valid passport
  • A color passport size photo
  • For citizens belonging to a third country, there should be proof that you are legally staying in the country

Appointment at the embassy:

The next step after submitting your application is to attend an appointment at the embassy. You will get an appointment only after the Swedish Migration Agency has gone through your application and then referred your case to the embassy.

For your appointment, you should carry all your original documents and your passport. Your fingerprints and photographs should be submitted at the embassy. You and your dependent family members will also have to attend an interview at the embassy.

Once you complete these formalities, your case will be transferred to the Swedish migration agency for their final decision.

Issue of residence permit card:

Once your residence permit is approved you will get a residence permit card from the migration agency. You can pick up your card from the embassy. This process can take up to four weeks.

About the Residence Permit Card:

The card will contain information about the type of permit, how long the card is valid and your personal information. It will also indicate whether you are permitted to work in Sweden.

Check whether the name on your residence permit card tallies with the name in your passport, if it is a mismatch, you will have to report it to the embassy or the migration agency and request for a new card.

Card validity:

You will get a new residence permit card every time you are given a new residence permit or an extension. The card has the same validity as your permit, but it cannot extend for more than five years.

Extending your residence permit:

Once the validity is over, you will have to go through the same application process for a new residence permit card.

Losing your card:

In case you lose your card, you must report it to the authorities and visit the Migration Agency to get a new card.

Rules regarding residence permit:

If you have a permanent residence permit you can travel in and out of Sweden, but you must have a valid passport if you want to travel out and have your residence permit card when you return. With your residence permit, you can be away from Sweden for one year without affecting the validity of your residence permit. However, if you are staying away from Sweden for more than one year or are planning to move to another country, then the Swedish Migration Agency can take away the residence permit from you.

You can request the agency not to revoke your residency by notifying them before you leave the country. But you will be allowed to stay away from Sweden for up to two years. You will have to come back in two years to avoid your license from being revoked.

The permanent residence permit issued by Sweden gives many privileges to migrants who want to settle in the country. To know more, consult an immigration expert.

If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…

Sweden issued 11,000 Residence Permits in July this year

Share :

More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

20 + 2 =




Follow Us

We want to hear from you!