Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

Things you should know before extending your Tier 2 visa

Posted on June 5, 2020
Comment (0)
Share :

UK Tier 2 (General) Visa

The Tier 2 (General) visa enables citizens outside the EEA to enter and work in the UK and is initially valid for three or five years. If you lived and worked under this scheme in the UK, your visa may continue to be extended to a maximum of six years.

It should be remembered, however, that after five years of continuous residence, Tier 2 visa holders can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR), allowing them to remain in the UK permanently, assuming they meet the eligibility criteria.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • If your current Tier 2 (General) visa expires, and you wish to extend your stay, you must:
  • Have a valid current Tier 2 (General) visa
  • You still have the same job for which you got your present visa
  • Are still with the same employer that issued your sponsorship certificate
  • Are still earning an appropriate salary
  • It is also important for you to be in the UK to apply for an extension

How to Apply?

To extend your Tier 2 (General) visa you must apply before it expires. However, you will also need to make an appointment to visit a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photograph).

Time is Taken to Receive an Extension:

Tier 2 (General) visa extension decisions may take up to two months (eight weeks) if the standard application service is used, or five working days if the priority service is used.

You can expect to receive a decision for applicants using the super-priority service by the end of the next working day following your appointment with UKVCAS.

If your application is successful you should receive your Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) within 10 working days.

If there are concerns or questions from the case officer reviewing your application, you may be asked to provide further supporting evidence or to attend an interview. If this happens, your decision regarding the application can be delayed.

Change in Job Circumstances:

Applying for an extension of your Tier 2 visa after a job change or change in your job circumstances will mean changes in the application process. The Home Office states that you may need to apply for a new visa if you plan to:

  • Change to a job in a different standard occupation classification (SOC) code (and you’re not in a graduate training program)
  • Leave a job that’s on the shortage occupation list for a job that is not on the list
  • However, you may be able to extend your visa if you wish to move to a new role for the same employer within the same SOC category, or if your pay is simply increasing, but you may need a new sponsorship certificate

Tier 2 Visa Extension for Frontline Healthcare Workers

If you are currently working as a frontline health worker on Tier 2 (general) work visa, then you and your family members can get a one-year visa extension if your visa is to expire before October 2020. The following healthcare workers are eligible to get an extension:

  • biochemist
  • biological scientist
  • dental practitioner
  • health professional
  • medical practitioner
  • medical radiographer
  • midwife
  • nurse
  • occupational therapist
  • ophthalmologist
  • paramedic
  • pharmacist
  • physiotherapist
  • podiatrist
  • psychologist
  • social worker
  • speech and language therapist
  • therapy professional

Applying for the extension of your Tier 2 visa is a straightforward process.

Share :




More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

2 × one =




Follow Us

We want to hear from you!