Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

What are different routes to Migration to Australia?

Posted on September 14, 2019
Comment (0)
Share :

Migration to Australia

Australia is a popular destination for those who want to migrate to another country. The government here encourages immigrants to come and settle here. In case you are planning to migrate to Australia, there are many routes for you to migrate here. Find out more details on migration routes to Australia in this blog.

The first step in migrating to Australia is to apply for a visa. There are many types of visa you can apply for, so you must first decide the visa you will apply for. There are various online resources provided by the Australian government to help you choose. Use the wizard created by the Department of immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to help you. Here are the visa options you can consider:

Skilled Migration Program

If you are a skilled worker, you can apply for a visa through the General Skilled Migration (GSM) Program. To qualify for this visa, you must fulfill the basic requirements for the GSM category. These requirements are:

  • Age must be under 45
  • Mentioned skill must feature in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List of the government.
  • Assessment of skills by a designated assessing authority related to your nominated occupation
  • Possess good health which will be assessed by designated authorities
  • Have a good character which again will be assessed by relevant authorities

You should score the required points to qualify for this visa. You can get your PR visa through the Skilled Migration Program. Certain approved skills are eligible for a visa under this category.

[ A Comprehensive Guide to Australian Skilled Migration Program]

Employer-sponsored visa

For this visa, you will have to find a job where the employer will sponsor your visa. Under this category, employers can sponsor workers on a temporary visa. Under the temporary visa you qualify for multiple entries and exits. After two years of working for the employer, you can apply for permanent residency.

Family visa

If a partner, spouse or child is already a citizen or a permanent resident of Australia, then they can sponsor your visa to migrate. You will get a visa based on your relationship with your sponsor. There are two types of visa in this category:

Partner or spouse visa: to get this visa you must be a fiancé, spouse or a partner of an Australia or a permanent resident.

Parent and child visa:  A parent can migrate to Australia if his child is a citizen or permanent resident. 

Working holiday visa

You can apply for a working holiday visa if you are planning to live and work in Australia for a short period (12 months). However, this visa has certain eligibility requirements:

  • You must be between 18-35 years
  • You must have a passport with at least 6 months validity
  • You must have proof that you have enough funds to support yourself when you arrive in Australia
  • You must not have any serious health issues
  • You should not have any serious criminal convictions

With this visa, you can work in industries like fishing, mining, construction work, plant/animal cultivation, tree farming while on a holiday here. These are called primary industries. Under this visa, you cannot work for more than six months with one employer.

The working holiday visa application and approval must be processed before you travel to the country.

If working in a primary industry, you are eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa and can extend it between 12 to 24 months.

 Australian Business Visa

This visa is designed to encourage business owners and investors to settle down here and start a business or develop new business opportunities in the country. Basically, there are two ways to get a business visa:

  1. If you are a provisional visa holder you are eligible for a PR visa after you establish a business in Australia
  2. Applicants who have the caliber to run a business are given a direct PR visa which is sponsored by a state or territory government

The business visa has four categories:
• Business owner category for those who fully or partly own a business
• Senior executive category for senior executives in business
• Investor category for those willing to invest in Australia
• Business talent category for persons with caliber to run a business

Requirements to migrate to Australia

The most common ways to migrate to Australia are Skilled Immigration Visas and Nominated/Sponsored Visas. If you are opting for either of them, then you must meet these eligibility requirements:

  • You must have the required bands score in the IELTS test for English Language Proficiency
  • If you are applying for Nominated/Sponsored Visas, then you must have the Sponsorship /Nomination from the Territory or State in Australia
  • You must submit your Expression of Interest –EOI online
  • Must secure at least 60 points in points-based immigration system on basic factors– Work experience, English proficiency, Education, Age, etc.
  • Have the required certification to prove you are in good health and have no criminal record

There are various ways to Migrate to Australia, you can take the help of an immigration consultant to choose the appropriate option to migrate to the country.

Y-Axis Overseas Careers Promotional Content

Share :

More Posts

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

5 + 6 =




Follow Us

We want to hear from you!