What does Australia’s post-study work visa offer?
Posted on March 8, 2021
Australia recently introduced changes in the Subclass 485 visa by making changes in the application requirements and visa criteria for international students.
After these changes, international students on a Temporary Graduate visa, will have the opportunity to stay longer in Australia in order to gain valuable work experience and look for a pathway to permanent residency.
After their studies, they can stay on and work in regional Australia. In addition to this, the government has made relaxations in the application and grant criteria for international students who cannot travel to Australia due to travel restrictions.
These students can now apply fortheir 485 visa, from offshore locations regardless of the stream they belong to.
International graduates are a valuable resource for Australian employers because their education at Australian universities provides them with a rare mix of multilingual skills, cultural understanding, and a global perspective. The country wishes to make full use of this valuable resource.
Graduate Temporary visa (Subclass 485) categories
After two years of study in Australia, a student may apply for a Subclass 485 post-study work visa. The Graduate Temporary Visa is another name for this type of visa. This allows them to stay and work in Australia for up to four years.
The Subclass 485 visa is divided into two categories:
- Graduate work: This is for students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia. Their course of study must be related to the nominated occupation. The validity of the visa is 18 months.
- Post-study work: This visa is for international students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher degree at an Australian institution. They can stay on this visa for up to 4 years. However, these applicants will not need to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
The length of stay depends on the applicant’s qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree – 2 years
- Research -based master’s degree – 3 years
- D. – 4 years
This visa allows for the inclusion of family members. This visa comes with the following benefits:
- Work and live in Australia for a limited time
- Study in Australia
- During the validity of the visa, one can travel in and out of the country
- Graduates may choose to stay and work in Australia and apply for job opportunities with this visa
Holders of the Post-Study Work Stream Temporary Graduate Visa [TGV] [subclass 485] who obtained their degree from a regional Australian education institution and stayed in regional Australia on their first TGV would be qualified for another TGV starting this year.
International students in regional Australia will have more time and opportunities to earn more points in order to secure a potential invitation for professional migration as a result of the additional time given.
As a result, prospective foreign students would be more likely to select regional Australia as a study abroad destination.