What is an eTA?
Posted on October 20, 2020
Do you know what an eTA is? The eTA is Electronic Visa Authority and it is an e-visa linked to the passport. Both Canada and Australia have made the eTA mandatory for entry of citizens of countries who are exempt from visa requirements
eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveler’s passport. The eTA is valid for five years or till the expiry date of the passport whichever is earlier. If you get a new passport, then you should get a new eTA as well.
The citizens of the following countries are eligible for an eTA to enter Canada. They are exempt from applying for a visa:
- British citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
- British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British Overseas Territories of:
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Pitcairn Island
- Saint Helena
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
- Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
- Republic of Korea
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Romania (electronic passport holders only)
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
- United Arab Emirates
- United States
- Vatican City State, must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican
Permanent residents of Canada need not apply for an eTA, they will need the permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to travel to Canada. Dual citizens must use their Canadian passport to travel to Canada.
As for others travelling to Canada for purpose of work, study or doing business in Canada they will have to apply for the specific visa and cannot use the eTA.
However Indian nationals or Indian passport holders are not eligible for eTA visas and therefore cannot apply for one. But there are other ways to enter Canada. Such persons can apply for a tourist visa to enter Canada but the processing time is longer and the visa is more expensive but it is valid for twice the validity period of the eTA.
Australia issues the eTA for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities such as attending a conference, making business enquiries, or for contractual negotiations. Citizens of the following countries are eligible for an eTA in Australia:
Brunei – Darussalam
Hong Kong (SAR PRC)
Korea, Rep of (South)
The eTA for Australia is valid for 3 months. However, Indians are not eligible for an eTA to enter Australia.