What is the process to apply for Australian citizenship in 2023?
Posted on January 25, 2023
How to apply for an Australian citizenship?
- Free healthcare and education for children.
- The applicant must hold a PR for the past one year and should have spent over four years in Australia.
- One will have to undergo a citizenship test.
- You must have proof of PR, id, birth certificate, etc.
Australia is emerging as one of the favorite locations for immigrants to relocate. Starting from Indian students to working professionals, people are migrating to the country. Australia is an immigrant-friendly country with vibrant culture, free healthcare, free education for children, beautiful landscapes, etc. are some of the reasons behind these migrations. It is home to some of the world’s most famous cities, including Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra, Brisbane, etc.
*Willing to migrate to Australia? Y-Axis, is here to assist you in all the moves.
Eligibility to become an Australian citizen.
- In this article, we will discuss the process of applying for Australian citizenship in detail. But, first, the applicants must fulfill a few requirements before applying for citizenship.
- One should be over 16 years of age.
- Applicant must be of good character.
- One should have spent over four years in Australia, including one year as a permanent resident of Australia.
- Candidates will have to pass the citizenship test and should be aware of the privileges and responsibilities of an Australian citizen.
Steps to follow to apply for an Australian citizen:
- Once you meet all your eligibility, contact Y-Axis.
- Gather all the asked documents for further processing, and payment of the application fee will be required.
- Y-Axis will book your appointment for the interview, and you need to appear for the interview.
- After your interview and application are approved, you will be asked to take your pledge in the citizenship ceremony.
List of required documents
One will have to produce the following documents to apply for Australian citizenship:
- Birth certificate
- Valid id proof
- Proof of Australia PR like medical insurance, utility bills, etc.
- Recent passport photographs
- Marriage certificate
The Australian immigration authorities ask for AUD490 as an Australian citizenship processing fee. The fees include concession fees of AUD70. The same fee for children and older people is AUD300, including a concession fee of AUD35.
Australian citizens can hold up to three citizenships, so Indians will not have to renounce Indian citizenship to obtain Australian citizenship.
Australian citizenship for families
You can sponsor your family members’ citizenship after you have become an Australian citizen. If eligible, any relative of yours can also become an Australian citizen.
In the case of a child born in Australia and one of the child’s parents is an Australian citizen, the child is an Australian citizen by birth. And children who have attained the age of 15 can also apply to be citizens even if none of their parents are citizens. However, the child will have to pay the application processing fees.
Reasons why Australian citizenship is rejected
There can be many reasons why the application form is rejected, and these reasons can easily be avoided. We will discuss the causes and how one can prevent it:
- Criminal records: The applicant must not have a criminal record, be a person of good character, and be a follower of a good code of conduct. Hence, while holding an Australian PR, you should comply with all the laws.
- Document processing: Provide accurate information while processing your application. Your records must verify your documents, or your citizenship might be rejected.
- Two back-to-back applications: After your last application is rejected, you should wait to proceed with a new application. You should maintain a time gap between two applications as the audit manager sometimes notices the period between two applications.
- Purpose: “Why do you want Australian citizenship” is a vital part of the process. Your reason should be enough to convince the authorities.
One should be able to pass the citizenship test and score well in it. Try to avoid any silly mistakes and try making the entire process hassle-free.
Are you looking to migrate to any of these countries? Talk to Y-Axis, the world’s no. 1 overseas immigration consultant.
If you found this blog engaging, the also read…